Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Baby talk

We had a very good but exhausting day.  The day started normal enough, but then we headed to the eye doctor.  Andrew is just a tiny bit cross-eyed and our pediatrician wanted us to get him evaluated.  The good news is that the doctor thought his visual responsiveness was great, and thought the cross-eye issue might resolve itself.  So, we will go back in 6 months to see how Andrew is doing.

Then, we went to the pediatrician for vaccinations.  Today Andrew got the MMR and Chicken Pox vaccination.  He did quite well, and cried afterwards of course, but only for a minute or two.  He is also gaining weight so the Pediasure that Andrew gulps down like chocolate milk must be working.  Our nurse who adopted from Guatemala made the observation that it looked like Andrew was bonding well with me.  I was grateful that she shared her observation with me.

After this adventurous day I thought Andrew would be ready for his nap, but he wasn't interested in the least.  As I'm getting to know Andrew better, I knew sleep wasn't going to be in the equation at all (meaning, he was doing backbends in my arms, grabbing the lamp near us, and making all sorts of funny noises and laughing at himself), so we went back out and I got a haircut.  I figured Andrew already had a very "off" kind of day, and I am much relieved to finally have those dead ends chopped off.  We will resume meaningful attachment time tomorrow.  It is nice because Andrew likes to crawl all over me, and in the evening when we have "Baby Einstein" time, he curls up in my lap to watch.  He still loves his bottle and we still have at least 3 bottle times a day as well.  The rest of the time I just follow him around as he crawls and stands up.  

This evening I tried to keep Andrew up as late as possible, but by 6:45 I gave up and he went to bed.  So, I am bracing for a possible real early wake up call.  Last night he was asleep from 7:30 to almost 6 a.m., so he is doing very, very well in that area.

Okay, enough baby talk.  I am going to get ready for bed myself as I have no idea how these vaccinations will impact Andrew tonight.  

Good night!

Christa

2 comments:

Pupsmaster said...

HI Christa & Vernon. I am excited for you all about Andrew!! Vernon, this is Kipp Shives Mom, Pam. I saw your Mom today and she told me to come to your site to see Andrew. I also work with Lee Sumwalt. I think that Andrew is a VERY lucky little boy and I know that he will have a great life with you two. Much happiness to the 3 of you

Spiritual Pulse said...

Hi Christa & Vernon,
It is so good to know how well you and Andrew continue to bond. What a wonderful thing that Andrew is sleeping for about 11 hours. You have come a long ways in just a few weeks. I can't wait to meet your precious boy...I am counting the days! And I can't wait to see you both too!
Love to you all.
Carson