Saturday, August 23, 2008

3 Weeks and counting...

It just dawned on me that we have been home 3 weeks.  Andrew continues to act like this home is all he knows.  He is happy when he isn't tired, and wants to explore everything.  He is eating Cheerios like an expert now, well almost.  

Earlier this week we were surprised by my Group Exercise friends at the Y with a baby shower.  We had a regularly scheduled meeting, and when I arrived, it turned into a surprise shower (and a meeting).  We are so very blessed.  I love teaching at the Y and my friends have been so wonderful to me through the years.  Thank you all for a wonderful shower!  I hope to post a picture later - I have to get it from my friend Michelle first.

Thursday Andrew got fitted for a helmet.  When Andrew was born, he spent the first 8 months in a hospital because all of the baby homes were full.  At 8 months he moved to a baby home.  His baby home was wonderful, but I can imagine the hospital wasn't as nice as the baby home.  He probably spent too much time laying in a crib, and his head is flat in back as a result.  Really, to me, it isn't a huge deal, but our pediatrician and the occupational therapist (OT) feel like there is still time to try to reshape the head just a bit.  So, Andrew will wear a helmet for about 2-4 months.  I understand that after a very short while babies who wear helmets get really used to the helmet, and they even get to the point where they prefer the helmet on.  Our OT works with many adopted children, so she understood the unique concerns I had with the helmet issue and addressed them all.  The medical aspect is that this can help prevent jaw and TMJ issues down the road.  Having jaw and TMJ issues myself, I suppose the helmet is worth trying.  I am thinking of how we can decorate the helmet once he starts wearing it.  We will make it something special.

We are trying to watch a few minutes of the Wiggles right now (it is still early in the morning).  The other day, Vernon came downstairs as we were watching the Wiggles, and Vernon just couldn't get into the whole Wiggles concept.  I told him kids love the show, so he better get used to it.   I can't wait until Andrew begs daddy to watch the Wiggles, and Vernon of course watches every moment with Andrew.  We really don't watch a lot of t.v.  Only 30 -45 minutes a day.  But Andrew was up at 6 a.m., and so we were having some quiet time early in the morning.

It is now 8 in the evening and I am finishing up this post.   Although Andrew was tired today, it was a good day.  This evening, during our 'calming down' time before bed, instead of watching Baby Einstein, Andrew would take his finger and pull at my lip.  I would make funny noises when he did that, and he laughed so much.  It was fun to see him respond like that.

We have Andrew signed up for swim lessons this September.  These are the mommy/daddy and baby swim lessons of course.  We are excited and look forward to seeing Andrew in the water.  I do think he will be a little fish before too long.  And of course the swim lessons can be a good bonding routine as well.

I am still thinking of running a 5k this Labor Day weekend.  It is a whole different story jogging alone and jogging with a baby jogger.  I am certainly not going to break any records.

I hope to post some pictures soon.  Vernon and I have been rather pitiful in the picture department.  Andrew just doesn't want to pose, go figure.  I guess at 14 months old, he has other things on his mind than making memories for his parents.

Have a great week everyone!




No comments: