Monday, September 1, 2008

One month home

It is hard to imagine that one month ago we boarded a 12 hour flight from Moscow to Atlanta with Andrew.  It is amazing what one month at home will do.  When we first met Andrew on June 4, he couldn't sit up without assistance, and at almost 1 year of age one physician put his verbal skills at 4-5 months.  Now, it is all we can do to keep up with him around the house.  He isn't walking yet, but he is quite the crawler, especially when he sees a cat he can grab.  And he is walking a lot more with assistance.  And as for his verbal skills, he is verbalizing the sounds mama and dada, although we aren't quite thinking he knows what he is saying yet.  

When we arrived in Atlanta a month ago, we had two memorable encounters.  One was with an American/Russian flight attendant.  As we neared Atlanta, she came up to us, kneeled down and stroked Andrew's hair while asking us questions about him.  At some point in our conversation I mentioned we looked forward to sharing Andrew's Russian heritage with him.  The flight attendant had a sad look on her face and related how difficult things can be in Russia and how he will have lots of opportunity with us.  Later on, at the airport customs area, another American/Russian lady who lived in Denver and was returning from a trip to Russia approached us and Andrew.  She asked us lots of questions as well.  She gazed into Andrew's eyes and kept saying 'God bless you' to us.  

I won't forget those encounters.  Russia has a special place in our hearts.  I don't mean to imply anything through these stories except that we encountered some very special people along the way, and were amazed at the support we had, even from strangers.  Although I know Andrew will have many opportunities with us as parents and in this country, I think Vernon and I are the truly blessed ones.  Although this month has been difficult on some level (introducing a 14 month old to a new life isn't simple), it really has been so easy on other levels.  Maybe that is our unique perspective given everything we have been through, but Andrew is adjusting well.  Going into adoption, we were prepared and educated to deal with almost any kind of situation.   And I don't want to say after 1 month that we are coasting, because that is not the case.  Andrew just seems to be doing well for right now.  We continue to take it one day at a time.

And as for today, I took Andrew with me on a 5k road race.  This was after I taught my 5:45 am weight training class at the Y, so I am a bit tired now as I type this update.  Andrew enjoyed the run, and I did, too.  I didn't overdo it, as I haven't run much lately.  When I run I try to target someone else running who I think I can beat (just a touch the competitor).  And believe me, I don't target those tall, lanky, power gel guzzling sort who look like they could be on the cover of Runner's World.  I identified another lady in a baby jogger just like mine (except hers was ugly orange - sorry, no offense to anyone - I'm just a Gamecock fan).  I catch up with her by mile 1, but by mile 2 she passed me.  As she passed me, I overheard someone running next to her talking to orange baby jogger lady about their last 1/2 marathon.  I decided maybe I wouldn't beat orange baby jogger lady after all.  I haven't done a 1/2 marathon in over 4 years.   I then target an elderly male runner (don't laugh, there are some great older runners).  I wind up passing elderly male jogger and right close to the finish line, wound up beating orange baby jogger lady, too.  Although my time was nothing to brag about.  I just enjoy running and finishing, with little competitions along the way to make things interesting.

I guess I'll leave it at that for now.  I have a Costco update that I will share later.  Thank you all for your support - especially this month as we have Andrew home.  We feel the attachment parenting style that we have been educated about as adoptive parents is really paying off.  This month has been nothing short of amazing.  We look forward to many more months and years ahead.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Orange baby jogger didn' stand a chance against maroon baby jogger.

Nancy said...

I saw your comment on Becky's blog and clicked over...your son is darling! Congrats on beating the orange jogger lady - I'm a Gamecock, too! :)