Sunday, June 1, 2008

We have made it to Russia!  It was a small adventure getting here, starting in Charlotte.  Our flight from Charlotte to Atlanta was delayed and almost cancelled due to a maintenance issue.  We had already boarded when we were told of the problem.  Of course, if we missed our connecting flight in Atlanta to Moscow, there wasn't exactly another flight to Moscow that would take off later in the day.  I explained our situation to the flight attendant who secretly took us off the plane so we could get to the ticket counter in case the flight was cancelled.  The ticket agent was looking at putting us on an alternate flight that would take us from Charlotte to Cincinnati to JFK in NYC to Paris to Moscow.  It would also get us there much later (if you couldn't tell by all the connecting flights).  Fortunately, we were notified that our plane was fixed and we could continue on with our original flight plans. We were quite grateful to the attendant who snuck us off the plane - she smiled and said that in return we could name our child Delta. I smiled and didn't know what to say in response. I think I just laughed a bit nervously and said maybe the name will have a "d" in it.

When we arrived in Atlanta we met another family with our agency that was also traveling to Moscow.  They are adopting their third child.  We then boarded our 10 hour flight to Moscow.  We had some interesting movie choices.  The flight was uneventful.  We landed and went through customs which was equally uneventful.  Then our driver and translator, K and A, picked us up and took us to get some money exchanged and to the grocery store.  Of course, we stocked up on our coca cola light (i.e. diet coke).  It is about 3:00 in the afternoon now and we might try to venture out for a bit.  Vernon is taking a quick nap and I might follow his lead.

Tomorrow we leave at 10:00 for the CSS offices where we meet with S.  Then we go to the Ministry of Education where we will receive information on the baby that has been referred to us.  Then we travel to the orphanage and visit for a while.  I have been told that Monday is a long day and we will probably eat lunch in the car.  

So, that is it for now.  I will catch you all up to date later!

Christa and Vernon

P.S.  I really cannot recommend the movie "Walk Hard, the Dewey Cox Story".  It was one of the movies on our flight.  I had bigger hopes for that movie...

P.P.S.  The picture is of our cat Sebastian who has a 6th sense and knows when we are about to travel.  He wants to make sure we have enough fur on our suitcase.  We don't have to tie a ribbon around our luggage.  We just look for the one with fur on it.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for creating this blog. It is great to be able to share in your journey. We are thinking about you and we are very excited. Love, Beth and Bryce

liz said...

I really like your blog. You do such a great job with it. My special prayer partners are praying for you.
Love you both,
Mom

April Lowry said...

Christa,
Your mom shared the Blog info with me.
Now you will have hundreds on the east coast
praying for you. :-)
Love,
April Lowry

CoxFamily said...

You have west coast prayers headed your way as well. I forwarded this on to the Anderson clan! I thought about you guys all day yesterday. I am excited to hear more. I am so glad you guys made it in one piece!

Love,
Kristen

Gail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gail said...

Hi Christa and Vernon,

I was so glad to hear that you arrived safely. Thanks for setting up the blog so quickly-I can't wait to hear about the daily adventures on this exciting new chapter of your lives. I love you both dearly. Take care of each other.
Praying for a safe and happy journey!
Mom:)

June 1, 2008 7:24 PM

Spiritual Pulse said...

Hi Christa and Vernon,
So glad you made it safely to Russia. I am praying for you this week and can't wait to hear how today is going as you meet this special baby for the first time. Love you both so much. Lester, Sebastian, and Gracie are just fine!!!!
Carson

Trey O'Neale said...

Vern and Christa - I hope all goes smoothly. You are in our thoughts.

Trey

Antoine & Lori said...

I hope everything goes wonderfully today! It was great meeting y'all at the picnic -- I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in Moscow. Lori (+ Antoine, Simone and Claire)

Over Caffeinated Mama said...

So glad to hear from you! Can't wait to hear about your day.

Becky and Keith said...

Hi Christa! Sounds like you had a lot of excitement just trying to get to Moscow. Please tell K that Keith and Becky said Hi and can't wait to get back! She is a wonderful translator and will take very, very good care of you. She is also an excellent tour guide. I hope today went well for you! I'll be blog stalking. :-)

Best wishes!
Becky

Dave and Kelly said...

It's great to be able to share the trip with you through the blog! Can't wait to read more. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Dave and Kelly

Over Caffeinated Mama said...

Christa,

I hope all went well today. I am keeping you all in our prayers and can't wait to hear about your day!

Ondrea

Terri said...

Christa, Your in my prayers!! It is funny that I was just catching up with what has been happening with you while I was on care pages the other day! I pray that all goes well for you and your husband throughout this process. Your friend from Curtis, Terri Jeffcoat

Wendy Reeder said...

So excited to be following your unforgettable journey. Our whole family sends prayers and encouragement. Love, Wendy

Spiritual Pulse said...

Christa & Vernon,
We can't wait to see this sweet boy. You all are still in our prayers.....
Love you both!
Carson